My Favourite Smoothie Ingredients
- FROZEN. MANGO. Hands down my favourite ingredient. The cheapest for me seems to be from Costco if you live in North America! Its so flavourful, filling, and thick.
- Ice Cubes. So underrated, they give a better texture to your smoothie and make it seem like it's more filling without the calories
- Water! I find I can get myself to drink a lot more water if I use it as the main base of my smoothie. I used to add juices and then realized the amount of calories I was concocting together was insane. I also love coconut water as far as its natural qualities of replenishing electrolytes (yasss, natural Gatorade), but I don't think its necessarily something I haaave to have on hand all the time.
- Frozen strawberries- I find they also help keep smoothies thicker when frozen as opposed to fresh. They pack a stronger flavour than mango so they're great for covering up other tastes of healthy things you don't necessarily love.
- Rolled oats-- they help keep you feeling full longer and help balance your blood sugar level out. I don't know why they're not in more recipes, it may seem like a strange concept but you don't really taste them so long as youre not adding too much.
- Chia seeds! I was afraid of adding these to my smoothies for so long because I thought it would add a granular texture but IT DOESN'T! Chia seeds absorb water and help keep the smoothie a thicker consistency, so yummy! Not to mention they're so good for you (although you shouldn't poor in too much).
- Baby spinach- such a good way of adding greens without really changing the taste
- Dandelion greens- add a bit more of a fresh taste to your smoothie
- Vegetable green powders- (Progressive VegeGreens etc.) an easy way to add that extra vegetable intake to your day, especially if you don't have produce on hand. It cannn alter the taste in a negative way, but it's honestly not as bad as I expected at all. I used to make fun of someone I knew for taking this, and now I feel like an idiot.
- Kale, especially frozen! Like dandelion greens, add a bit more of a fresh taste to your smoothie. You don't need as much because kale is so much more dense.
Green Mango Smoothie Recipe
- 2 cups of cold water
- ~1 cup ice
- 1 1/2 cups frozen mango
- ~2 tbsp. chia seeds
- a dash of oats (~1/4 cup)
- (optional) protein powder of choice (my favourite is currently Body Fortress Whey Protein in Vanilla)
- greens of choice- lately I've been opting for a large handful of baby spinach